The Art of Home Canning | Preparednessdaily.com

Subscribe:   Posts           Preparednessdaily.com

The Art of Home Canning

Sat, Mar 3, 2012

Katzcradul discusses the benefits of home canning and encourages those interested in pursing the art. Those new to canning are invited to ask questions. LINKS BELOW Canning butter – katzcradul (I forgot I had made a video of this!) www.youtube.com Canning Citrus – imstillworkin www.youtube.com Canning whole slices of bacon – Ironhead41 www.youtube.com Canning diced bacon – BexarPrepper www.youtube.com

Jesus’ grace is sufficient, for His power is made perfect in weakness. If we are weak, we are strong in Christ. Our self-sufficiency decreases, so Christ in us can increase. – 2 Cor. 12:9-10

33 Responses to “The Art of Home Canning”

1. Sorren11 Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 3:57 pm

@jjtsmom
    I would use it really fast. Do not use cheese or milk in canning items

2. Sorren11 Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 4:57 pm

@TheDenisedrake
    Use dry BBQ spices!!! Rub the meat down before packing into jars!

3. katzcradul Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 5:48 pm

@hopecasey1979 Thanks for your kind remarks. The frozen chicken breast work just fine.

4. hopecasey1979 Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 5:59 pm

First off, Thank you for posting your videos they have been a huge inspiration for me and my family. My question is for canning chicken breast, can you use the bagged frozen breasts or do they have the be the fresh ones?

5. jdolani Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Awesome! Inspiring!

6. karlyrshelton Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Amazing, you have canned such a great variety. Right now I’ve only canned fruits, particularly because I can process them in a water bath since the majority have a high enough acid content. Everything sounds delicious! Thanks for what you do!

7. katzcradul Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 7:12 pm

@pennypinchingmom Sure, you could, but I’ve never even seen them for sale.

8. pennypinchingmom Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I love your videos and agree about seeing homecanned goods. Sometimes I just sit and stare at mine and how beautiful. Have you ever canned mandarin oranges or do you know if it is possible. Thank you God Bless

9. Garrisonpea Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 7:35 pm

@1TacticalMedic I purchased that canner a few years ago and it works great! They do have cookers as well, but make sure it’s the big one, it says pressure canner. Have fun canning:)

10. katzcradul Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 8:21 pm

@Addielovesgoats The videos that motivated me to start packing buckets was made by youtuber delta69alpha. His videos are excellent and explains everything so well. I have a bucket packing video as well. If you scroll down my playlist, you won’t have any trouble finding it. It’s called ‘Mylar & Buckets’ and was posted on June 21, 2011. Hope this helps you out. Thanks for watching and commenting.

11. Addielovesgoats Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Can you direct me to a good resource for canning dry goods like flour etc. Or do you have a video? I find it difficult to store them in the freezer because it takes up room that we need for our goats milk during the off season ( not milking goats).
    Thanks!

12. RadiantMeteor Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Fantastic wonderful video thank you so much!! I have been canning for some years now and it has improved my health body and mind in many ways.

13. chodeshadar18 Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I’m a man, interested in learning to store food against natural disasters, etc. Thank you, Kat, for showing us just how many foods can be preserved! I will use it to motivate my meighbos!

14. Ihold8stars Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 10:20 pm

@1TacticalMedic Yup its a good one if its the same I bought recently- cheapest ive found =) Im new to canning but one day when money is better id like to get a bigger canner- the one your talking about is the presto brand right? Im having issues doing videos the cam I purchased broke after just 1day had mail it back etc..but soon as I can I will put up videos showing this presure canner and well ya’ll can laugh at me im sure cuz like I said im new to canning so watchin me is a comedy at times.

15. katzcradul Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 11:11 pm

@1TacticalMedic What you’re probably looking at in Walmart is a pressure ‘cooker’, not a pressure ‘canner’. There is a difference. You can’t can in a pressure cooker. If it really is a pressure canner for $69…buy it!!! (You can get a good pressure canner for around $100.)

16. 1TacticalMedic Says:
    March 3rd, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Will the 69 doller canner at walmart work or do I need to drop big bucks on a pressure canner? btw love your vid response to the botulism fear monger! Please reply Kat!! God Bless

17. katzcradul Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 12:04 am

@motherleeful You are too kind. Your words mean so much to me. My desire is to help other learn skills that will benefit them and their families. I canned more sweet pickles today as well. They are delicious. Thank you so much for watching and commenting.

18. motherleeful Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 12:49 am

You are an amazing woman! Thank you for taking the time to teach others. We all need to be learning new skills. I am so visual and you explain yourself so well. I found you through the sweet pickle recipe, Mimi’s Pickles…I’m on day two. I have made laundry soap too! You are a blessing from the Lord! Keep up the good work!

19. smky143 Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 1:44 am

Now I’m hungry, can you just bring me over a sampler plate?

20. TheDenisedrake Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 1:58 am

@katzcradul Oh right. I should just can the meat and bbq sauce separately. Ooooo I’m getting so excited about canning. It’s great to get help from experienced canners. Thank you!

21. katzcradul Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 2:18 am

@TheDenisedrake I don’t add anything to my canned meat except salt. I would wait and just add the BBQ sauce when you heat the meat for sandwiches. Sometimes, seasonings will intensify over time and become unpleasant in your canned meat. Hope this helps. Thanks for subbing and for commenting.

22. TheDenisedrake Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 2:56 am

Thank you, thank you! I’m just getting started canning (and getting my kids in on the production). It’s great to see how the canned food looks and how to use it. One question: Can you can raw pork or beef with a little (2 Tbsp per pint) BBQ sauce added on top of the raw meat? I’ve seen that you shouldn’t add liquid to raw meat pack but wasn’t sure if a little BBQ sauce would count as liquid or just seasoning. We like pulled pork sandwiches. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

23. SasyBecause Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 3:40 am

I really think you started something here :-)

24. 99lunalupis Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 4:31 am

YEA! We will be canning for the first time this year! (We have experience on our own, but not together for the The Little Red Homestead In The Woods!)

25. horticultureandhomes Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 4:48 am

I like to look at the beautiful home canned goods too! I agree with Noreen, we should all put of vids of our canned goods and start a new movement of home canners!

26. crystalclear0601 Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 4:57 am

2 things:
    1) this song brings me to tears and makes me feel warm inside!! Thank you!!
    2) this was posted on my birthday!! Thanks for posting!! -3

27. 68Lrobbins Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 5:02 am

Thank you Jesus!!!!

28. BKE219 Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 6:00 am

Its bring my tears out. I thank God for sending his only Son to die on the Cross for our sins. Now, Jesus is alive and He is always on our side. Great song!

29. Kittenlover313 Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 6:42 am

I so badly want to cry when I think about what Christ did for me. So much love, so much bravery, honor as he hung on the cross, as breathed his final breaths, our sin falling into him, the sword stabbed into his side, water and blood falling to the ground. One day, I swear, I will visit that hill, and just cry. Cry and thank him for everything I couldn’t even imagine.

30. TwojaKasienka Says: