Neck Knife Kit | Preparednessdaily.com

Subscribe:   Posts           Preparednessdaily.com

Neck Knife Kit

Wed, May 16, 2012

Years ago I set up my Newt Livesay NRGS neck knife as a PSK. I have found the concept of the neck knife PSK to be very useful. In this video I show the contents of the kit and discuss some of my reasoning behind the items I include. I’ve had a few requests for a written list of the kit contents… The rubber is bicycle inner tube cut to length. This rubber also serves as emergency tinder if need be. SHELTER – Seven strand Paracord & handle wrap, Needle and waxed line for clothing repair. This kit is light on shelter resources, but it is a small kit. FIRE – BSA Hotspark, Cotton treated with Vaseline, 2 birthday candles, inner tube rubber. WATER – Two 10 oz milk bags, 20 mg Potassium Permanganate. This would only allow me to treat 20 oz of water at a time and it takes a half hour to treat water with KMnO4. At a water source that would translate into 40 oz an hour which is good enough. SIGNALS – Day/Night Mirror, LED Light, Fire/Smoke, Whistle NAVIGATION – 20 mm Button Compass FOOD – #4 waxed line for snares, traps, or fishing. I give food a very low priority in small survival kits, its just not a killer. You can make a similar kit around many different neck knives. The Becker BK-11 or RAT Izula would be good candidates if you can’t find an NRGS. Make your kit what you need it to be for your area and needs. These contents have worked for me for many years from Alaska to Brazil and points in between.

24 Responses to “Neck Knife Kit”

1. SupportTheARA Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 12:44 am

Wow, great video! I was skeptic at first when I read the title, but after seeing the video, this is good stuff to know, and I will incorporate this in my inventory, thank you so much!

2. butcherer100 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 1:26 am

You are both right but it’s like saying I dont need seatbelts, been driving for 30 years, never had a accident in my life.. still countless people die each day cause of it.

3. jonathonbyrd1 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 1:54 am

That’s the absolute worst place to have your knife. Trip on anything and that knife is going to want to puncture your throat. Bla bla bla, your sheath is not the end all for a knife, your knife can still puncture your sheath. It may not even need to if you fall on that thing hard enough.. this should be common sense… BAD IDEA

4. useaknife Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 2:46 am

have you done a review on this knife

5. werb1961 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 2:48 am

Colhane that is a sweet setup,i am going to work on one with those features.keep those videos coming!

6. Colhane Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 2:57 am

If anyone is concerned about this simply cut the tops of the loop and melt the ends back together to form a break away. This will considerably shorten the length of cord you have in one piece though. I have been using this for ten years and it has never snagged on anything.

7. mryellow123 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 3:48 am

Yet another neck-breaker lanyard without a break-away.

How many pounds of force can your neck take? 550lbs? 1100lbs? 10lbs? 5lbs?

8. halfhawk2012 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 4:46 am

thats sweet

9. DavidFourteen Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 5:17 am

Well thought-out, well-presented. A+!

10. bushcraftbrothers737 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 5:45 am

Make more videos

11. Colhane Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 5:51 am

I bought mine from Newt Livesay back around 2001 IIRC back when he was still making knives. I don’t know what the status is on current production or availability. There are lots of similar knives that work well as a basis for a kit.  This is just the one I have and it has served me very well over the years.

12. Colhane Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 6:15 am

Thanks, glad you found it informative. I carry the knife inside the shirt and have never had it snag on anything in ten years. Without knowing how your sheath is made I would have a hard time helping oyu fix it. I know that Kydex can be reheated and pressed tighter if you have a proper press.

13. bushcraftbrothers737 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 6:25 am

Where did you buy the knife? Your copy where did you buy it

14. sharpknifesedge Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 6:44 am

Very good info! I just started carrying a neck knife, and i have some problems. Don’t you worry about strangulation? also, my knife keeps moving around a lot. And then one of my sheaths got quite loose. Do you know a simple way to fix that? Would be grateful for help.

15. TwoSpiritSurvival Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 7:06 am

love this kit! right up my ally. I will probobly make one. :)

16. robbabcock1969 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 7:08 am

I’m glad to see the milk bags…I was afraid you were gonna pull out a condom. I quit watching vids when I see that. There are so much better containers, such as those milk bags. Better yet would be a 1 liter Aqua-pouch.

Nice small kit.

17. auradud3 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 7:36 am

that adjustable neck cord is very dangerous, i have seen people get choked and caught up in them, you should rethink that

18. BillySAw951 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 8:01 am

Very nice dude, this kit inspired me to make my own version for my neck knife. This is very great also as a edc survival because I know many people dont carry their pack all the time and if they do their great.

19. Colhane Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 8:45 am

Bike repair shops usually have all sorts of used inner tubes that they throw away. That’s where I get all of mine.

20. displaynamechris Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 8:53 am

Where can I get a piece of rubber such as the one in your video?

21. mattbruder505 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 9:33 am

I got one of those at my Scout camp, and they work rally well for this. great idea.

22. Colhane Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 9:40 am

That’s why I put it out there. There are many knives that would work well with a kit like this if you have trouble finding the NRGS.

23. multitoollover Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 10:12 am

thanks im probably going to buy it and copy your idea if thats ok

24. Colhane Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 10:56 am

It is called the NRGS, it was made by Newt Livesay.