Mon, Jul 9, 2012
From The Survival Mom™
I recommend the 2-liter bottle as a food storage must-have so often that people have asked, “How much soda do you drink,anyway??”
With super hot summer temperatures present across the country, combined with power outages, those wonderful 2-liter bottles come in handy yet again!
Get ready for the next heat wave by filling clean bottles with water and freezing. Here’s how they can help:
- Multiple bottles of frozen water in your freezer will help keep food frozen longer.
- When the power goes out, put a few of these bottles in the fridge to lower the temperature and prolong the life of food.
- An easy way to avoid opening the refrigerator door, and thus raising the temperature with each ‘open’, put 2 or 3 bottles of frozen water in an ice chest, add bottles of water, soda, fruit, etc. The smaller interior space will stay chilled longer than the larger refrigerator.
- If someone in the family is overheating, wrap several frozen bottles in towels and place them around their body to cool their core temperature.
- Float several of these bottles in a bathtub or smaller swimming pool to keep the water cool.
- As the water melts, the icy water is the perfect temperature for drinking or pouring over a small towel to place around the back of your neck.
- If you have livestock or pets, place frozen bottles in chicken coops, rabbit hutches, dog houses, etc.
- Place a couple of bottles directly in front of a fan (battery or generator powered). The air flow cools as it passes the ice.
If you’re short of space in your freezer, try placing a layer or two of these bottles in the very bottom where it’s harder to find frozen food anyway. You’ll have several bottles ready when you need them.
I’m not a soda drinker at all, but my husband loves his Coke Zero, so we have plenty of these empty bottles. If you don’t drink soda, buy a few bottles of club soda or sparkling water instead. Store brands sell for as little as 79 cents or so.
Stay cool out there!
© 2012, thesurvivalmom. All rights reserved.
- Allotment Day 1 – Time For A New Rickvanman Hobby…
- How QE3 Will Make The Wealthy Even Wealthier While Causing Living Standards To Fall For The Rest Of Us
- Email From Lead Analyst, Weekly Petroleum Supply Team on Possibility of Recession
- Crazy Busy
- Rumors Of War
- Guest Article: To Arms!, by William Crosby Prentice