Subscribe:   Posts           Preparednessdaily.com

Urban Permaculture in Clacton-on-Sea

Mon, Aug 8, 2011

Climate change and peak oil (limits to the available supply of oil) and overuse of other natural resources are facing us all with an unprecedented crisis. In this video meet a family who believe in taking personal responsibility for the way they live and effect the world around them. Follow the progress of them applying energy and water saving ideas to their house and their move towards urban self sufficiency in Clacton-on-sea in Essex, Great Britain. For More Information Please Visit: www.ecodiy.org
Video Rating: 4 / 5

In my quest to erradicate harmful household products and be self-sufficient. Here’s part 1 in my bathroom reno collection, bare with me!
Video Rating: 4 / 5

13 Responses to “Urban Permaculture in Clacton-on-Sea”

1. blastergas Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 8:30 am

@Like2MilkGoats @
    ahahahayeahright Seedballs or seedbombs are a good way of fire and forget gardening. They can be used to plant perennials or cover crops. things you wouldn’t be watering. Rain falls and dissolves the clay. It’s protected until there’s enough rainfall to grow your plant. Also a good way of ensuring a good supply of wild edibles.

2. ahahahayeahright Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 8:45 am

really depends on what you’re planting.

my favourite medium is seed bombs. balled up lumps of mud, clay, and seeds which i throw across the land and then wait and see what takes. not recommended for most veg, though. ;)

3. Like2MilkGoats Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 8:58 am

whats the permaculture way to start seeds? what medium?

4. Noz7777 Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 9:54 am

I didn’t see any treated wood in what they collected, did I miss something?

5. blueeggsitter Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 10:31 am

Awsome!!!

6. titokawaru Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 10:36 am

It look great. I do question the burning of treated wood though. It is balanced by the overall footprint reduction I guess.

7. lifeseeker51 Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 11:19 am

You’ve gotta love that.

8. skinnychef Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 11:34 am

love it!

9. inthegroove70 Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 11:41 am

Just want to say first and foremost that I enjoy your videos on sustainability: great presentation, excellent narrative.

Hey looks like a nice project..once the walls are framed its all down hill from there.
    what happened to your toilet? looks like someone kicked the poor thing and it just stayed like that. lol

MDF isn’t banned in the us..we use it all the time but for specific things.

10. enseisthyn Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 12:40 pm

hope it goes well

11. HelmerandRawlins Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 12:49 pm

You have a nice demeanor and good presentation skills. I enjoy your videos a great deal and look forward to more. I too am interested in a life journey towards self-sufficiency.

12. NoSkraelings Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Asbestos is horrible stuff! Be wary also of MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard), ideally don’t use it at all, it’s dangerous, so much so it is banned in the USA.

13. dionysusstar Says:
    August 8th, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for the intro to the project. I think people can do electrical and plumbing with some research and safety precautions. I think it would be best to start learning on smaller projects though. Learning how to care and update our homes is a vital skill also. Thanks for sharing.