Oil Plunges $6 Following International Energy Agency Pledge to Release 60 Million Barrels from Strategic Stockpile
Sat, Jun 25, 2011
A triple whammy hit commodities today and sent the US dollar up sharply against the Euro and other currencies.
- Trichet admits the Obvious: “Risk Signals Are Flashing Red”; Ireland Snubs ECB With Renewed Threat to Bank Bondholders
- US unemployment weekly claims came in higher than expected
- International Energy Agency said 60 million barrels of oil would be released from strategic stockpiles
Please consider Oil tumbles as U.S., IEA release oil stocks
Oil fell sharply on Thursday, with North Sea Brent down more than $ 6 per barrel, after the International Energy Agency said 60 million barrels of oil would be released from strategic stockpiles to help the global economy.
The announcement comes after OPEC failed to raise production at a meeting on June 8 and despite assurances from OPEC’s biggest producer Saudi Arabia that it would lift supplies unilaterally.
“Greater tightness in the oil market threatens to undermine the fragile global economic recovery,” the IEA said.
The IEA said it would release 2 million barrels per day (bpd) over 30 days onto the world market to fill the gap in supplies left by the disruption to Libya’s output. Libya was exporting about 1.2 million bpd.
Analysts and traders said they had not expected the move:
“I’m really surprised. Everyone’s been saying they’ve got enough stocks. This should keep WTI (U.S. crude) under the $ 100 (per barrel), but really we want Brent there, and this should help,” said Robert Montefusco, broker at Sucden Financial.
Energy Futures as of 2011-06-23 9:30 US Central
Mike “Mish” Shedlock
Click Here To Scroll Thru My Recent Post List
Mike “Mish” Shedlock is a registered investment advisor representative for SitkaPacific Capital Management. Sitka Pacific is an asset management firm whose goal is strong performance and low volatility, regardless of market direction.
Visit http://www.sitkapacific.com/account_management.html to learn more about wealth management and capital preservation strategies of Sitka Pacific.
Leave a Reply
Mail (will not be published) (required)
- Survivalist Mentality
- A&G Interview A Survivalist 1
- Long Term Food Storage Secret Many YouTube survivalist dont want you to know
- Yoders Bacon for Survival Food Storage and Daily Use
- Prepared #2 – Storing Food – Basics (Preparedness series)
- Food Storage Night
- The Survivalist’s GeoCache
- Survivalist Mental Conditioning
- Prepared #3 – Storing Knowledge (Preparedness series)
- Survival food stash and storage. Part 1
- rawutah: So much to see here….it’s beautiful!That’s a l…
- ivankinsman: Cheers. Yes, it’s a good life here in the summer m…
- uthyr: Great!!…
- cafekawaii: subliminal message at 1:33!!!!…
- ivankinsman: Hi, have no idea how that slipped in! Anyway, just…
- Leading German Economist Buys Greek Bonds On Belief in “Boundless Stupidity of German Government”, Says Bailout Programs Will Exacerbate Problems
- Stupid Chickens and other ramblings
- Why GDP Is Useless and Deceptive: There Was No Recovery
- Economics and Investing:
- Blind Acceptance
- Homesteading (1): Introduction