Mon, Jun 27, 2011
In addition to your consideration of our sponsors who offer excellent food supplies for long term storage, if you are stocking up your food pantry to withstand a period of ‘down time’ just in case you cannot get to the grocery store for awhile, or worse, for a disruption or collapse in the food supply distribution chain, consider adding some basic grocery-store canned foods from the following categories.
Keep in mind that when considering which canned foods to stock up on, you should be considering calories as well as a balance of food types. You should look for canned foods with a decent amount of calories while attempting to balance protein, vegetables, grains, and fruit. Note that some canned foods contain very few calories, which although great for a healthy diet, they may not bring you the best bang for your buck (survival preparedness is not necessarily ‘weight-watchers’…).
Vegetables, veggies with meat, with grains, look for higher calorie soups.
I know that Costco sells canned chicken and beef for example… there is quite a variety of canned meat sauces too, plus canned ham, etc…
Canned Tuna and/or Salmon
Even with the Mercury risk, once or twice a week consumption OK according to many reports.
These usually have lots of calories and quite a variety of mixtures with vegetables.
Brown rather than green will typically contain more calories.
With sauce – meat sauce – Ravioli, etc…
Although somewhat low in calories, corn, carrots, etc… will offer a variety of flavor to add with your other foods.
For the sweet tooth, a good desert, and a healthy supplement to your diet.
Also, for optimum food rotation efficiency, it is always best to purchase what you normally eat, so that you will consume through your food storage over time, while replacing it with more of what you normally eat. This way, there would theoretically be no spoilage over time.
If you enjoyed this, or topics of preparedness or current events risk awareness, consider our survival blog RSS feed, new posts by E-mail, or bookmark us at Modern Survival Blog
Modern Survival Blog related posts
Incoming search terms:
- 2011 storing canned food
Leave a Reply
Mail (will not be published) (required)
- Survivalist Mentality
- A&G Interview A Survivalist 1
- Long Term Food Storage Secret Many YouTube survivalist dont want you to know
- Yoders Bacon for Survival Food Storage and Daily Use
- Prepared #2 – Storing Food – Basics (Preparedness series)
- Food Storage Night
- The Survivalist’s GeoCache
- Survivalist Mental Conditioning
- Prepared #3 – Storing Knowledge (Preparedness series)
- Survival food stash and storage. Part 1
- rawutah: So much to see here….it’s beautiful!That’s a l…
- ivankinsman: Cheers. Yes, it’s a good life here in the summer m…
- uthyr: Great!!…
- cafekawaii: subliminal message at 1:33!!!!…
- ivankinsman: Hi, have no idea how that slipped in! Anyway, just…