Subscribe:   Posts   |   Comments    Preparednessdaily.com

Sat, Jun 25, 2011

A new series showing some campfire cooking techniques. Part 1 goes over basic fire setup and equipment and shows some “alternate” cooking methods for fish also. www.survivalreport.net www.homesteadingandsurvival.com tags- preparedness, survival, emergency preparedness, camping, hiking, survivalist, homesteading, peak oil, end of times, end of oil, survival militia logistics, firemaking, cooking, dutch oven, food storage

Fourth in the series on water preservation and storage. To see the entire video or for more information go to, WWW.FrostCPR.com/learn

34 Responses to “Campfire cooking 1, survival, preparedness, peak oil, homesteading, self reliance, dutch oven”

1. briargoatkilla Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 4:58 am

@RonRay do ya make the cake according to the instructions or just pour it in dry? do you drain the peaches? i guess not if the batter is dry. man that sounds good!

2. shaolinadr Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 5:19 am

@yegdod1
    What is your problem?
    Hell you can go backpacking with a cast iron duch oven in your backpack and il keep my mess kit

3. yegdod1 Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 5:57 am

@shaolinadr your full of shit…. have you ever spent any long time in the bush..???? bet you havent tested yourself in the wilderness long term..couple days dont count….go bush for 3/4 weeks at a time then talk about light weight stuff..

4. RonRay Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 6:54 am

A real nice thing to do with those dutch ovens is pour two 15 oz. cans of peaches, one yellow cake mix, 2 sticks of butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and some cinnamon together (don’t stir.). Let it cook with the coals below and above the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes… Then go ahead and die, because you’ve just been to Heaven! :-)

5. TheBrotherMo Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 7:39 am

For those that live near the coast…

Katadyn Survivor Desalinator

The Katadyn Survivor is the ONLY manual water desalinator and purifier in the world. It pumps 35 gallons of fresh water from ANY water source. Definitely beats the alternative of distilling water,which takes days to produce 10 gallons.

6. TheSnevid Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 8:20 am

Nice vid. Thanks.

7. JanaMurray67 Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 9:06 am

Great report, thanks for the tips!

8. jmg1957 Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 9:57 am

nice.

9. ElchinMendes Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 10:32 am

Oh that looks amazing, just cooking with friends in some forest…ah wish i was there :)

10. SurvivalReport Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 11:29 am

@shaolinadr Obviously cast iron is more for a base camp type setup than for bugging out on foot. Hard to bake bread in a canteen cup though. :)

11. chyrd Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 12:01 pm

@kooxoh bears will generally keep away from a campfire with people around it…

12. shaolinadr Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

@SurvivalReport
    You were nice enough to share with me how you cook in the bush so I thought id do the same. Also I am thinking long term I just dont want heavy gear slowing me down.

13. SurvivalReport Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 1:23 pm

@shaolinadr As I’ve covered once before, cast iron is hardly “bug out on foot” cooking materials. Ever cooked bread in a canteen cup? This is long term survival, base camp type cooking, not patrol/bug out type cooking.

14. SurvivalReport Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Come check out our new Survival and Preparedness forum at

Survival and Preparedness DOTCOM

15. theliberator1 Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

one thing i like to do when camping, mostly when expecting a cold night. Par boil (half boil) some potatoes, cut about a dozen slits halfway though the potato to open it up, put some flavoured butter (we just add some french onion soup mix to butter) and wrap it all up in foil, roasted on the coals. If you do it just right, you got some real tasty baked potatoes.
    real good to snack on while drinking round your campfire.

16. 99cachorro Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

soon, when our economys crash, we will need these skills. collect cast iron if you can for cooking, have plenty of drinking water on hand.

17. SECRETBOL Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Very good Info/ NEW subscriber

18. shaolinadr Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Ok I just wanna say that I take a light pan or a cake pan (gunna get a mess kit soon) not a duch oven so that I can keep it in my bugout kit so I can carry my stuff in foot. Also as my pan it lighter I can easily cook on flames not coals which takes less fuel and so I dont need an axe as sticks are fine just got to split them with my knife. I hope this has been food 4 thought lol

19. DeathToISLAM666 Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 3:45 pm

@scooter650 that is not freaky

20. Revolutionisnow1 Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Cool video good job, I like your lid tool, When I was in the yukon all we had to cook with was wood, I love cooking with wood fires! The food tastes better! I also liked your lid tool!

21. afterthefox7 Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 4:43 pm

@borderraven Don’t ever as long as you live make a history test out of cooking. Cook and eat, Special!!

22. borderraven Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

@ratutevita, to understand cooking you need to know thermodynamics.

Cooking is the transference of heat into a mass.

Cooling is the removal of heat from a mass.

Cast iron conducts heat and it will hold the cold if you put it in ice, and cover it with ice. Pour the ice cream mix in the cold Dutch oven and stir with a wood spoon every 20 minutes.
    Pour salt on the ice to achieve colder temperatures. Enjoy.

23. ratutevita Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 4:55 pm

@borderraven how can you cook ice cream?

24. TheVittleVlog Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Very informative…Thanks!

25. andrew88ng Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 5:22 pm

i know, right? when i saw it, i was like..omg!

26. kmikesell Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

@disclosurenow9 Great point! I use an RV “food grade” hose and tell all those who buy from me the same….I forgot to mention it on my video…I will have to make an annotation. Thank you for the heads up!

27. disclosurenow9 Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I hope you aren’t using that garden hose to fill your barrels. You want to use a food grade hose. Lead & other nasties in garden grade hose.Good videos.Thanks.

28. kmikesell Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Just go to Home Depot, Wall Mart, Camping World or any other place that sells “Drinking Water” hoses. They are white with a blue line (you’ll never confuse which hose is which).

They are not terribly expensive and do not promote bacteria growth. A regular hose doesn’t cause cancer, it can just become a petri dish!

29. mmmbad Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Hi Kory, I really enjoy your videos! On the subject of water hoses to fill your barrels, I understand that a regular water hose has some cancer-causing materials in it. One web site sells what they refer to as a drinking water safe hose. I don’t know if I can mention the name of the site on here, so please send me a pm is you’re interested.

30. rosrychaplet Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

no i was just wondering. the numbers kept jumping around on me.

31. kmikesell Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 8:53 pm

No there are only four parts…..I edit out the Q & A at the end so, it might seem that there was more. Were there any Q’s you had that didn’t answered.

32. rosrychaplet Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 9:03 pm

is there a part 5?

33. kmikesell Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 9:54 pm

You are welcome! May sure you subscribe to my video’s so you wont miss-a-one!

Kory

34. KARStarla Says:
    June 25th, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Thank you! I enjoyed your videos and appreciate your help!